What’s not to love about a rich delicious pasta dish that’s also quick and easy? This Creamy Sausage Pasta is all those things! My family LOVES this recipe and asks for it if I don’t make it a few times a month.
You can make it super simple with only 5 ingredients or amp it up with some vegetables if you’d like. I’m always looking for ways to add more vegetables so this is a great way to do it.
Tips and Tricks will follow the recipe as usual.
Creamy Sausage Pasta Recipe
- 1 pound Italian sausage
- A medium onion, diced
- 1 (14 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 3/4 to 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 pound penne pasta
Set a big pot of water on to boil and be sure to salt it. The Italians say it should be as salty as the sea so I add a lot of salt. The last thing I want to do is make any Italians mad at me. Don’t worry about it being too salty and ruining your pasta. The pasta will only absorb as much salt as it can and the rest will be poured away. Since pasta is only flour and water it needs the salt from the water to season it.
In another pan brown the sausage and onion. When the meat is cooked, continue cooking it to cook off all the water. After the water evaporates the meat will start to fry and brown in the natural fat and this is where extra flavor comes from.
If your salted water is boiling good, add the pasta and set a timer. You don’t want to overcook your pasta!
Back to your sauce. After the meat has had a chance to brown and take on some color, it’s time to add the final 2 ingredients. Stir in the tomatoes and bring it to a simmer. When your pasta is ready to drain, scoop out a cup of the water and set aside, then drain. Now to finish the sauce, pour in the cream and taste for seasoning. Sometimes it needs more salt and pepper, it depends on the sausage you use.
Now to Finish!
When it’s perfectly seasoned, pour the sauce over the pasta in a big serving dish. Gently stir the sauce into the pasta and if it looks dry add the pasta water you scooped out. Whenever you make pasta this is a great way to be sure you aren’t going to end up with not enough sauce.
Tips and Tricks
- Add diced zucchini, baby spinach, or any other vegetable you like to the sausage and onions. Red bell peppers would be good.
- Use hot Italian sausage if you like it spicy or sprinkle in some red pepper flakes.
- This recipe doubles easily and that’s what I always do to feed my horde.
- Use a different shape of pasta, fusilli would be fun.
- Do not substitute milk for the cream. It will curdle because of the acid in the tomatoes. Just go all in and enjoy the heavy cream!
- You could make this a soup by adding broth to the sauce and using tortellini instead of serving over penne.
Leave a Reply